Angola's top court rejects opposition election complaints
Angola's top court rejects opposition party complaints over the August 31 election won by President Jose Eduardo dos Santos's ruling party.
LUANDA - Angola's top court has rejected opposition party complaints over the August 31 election won by President Jose Eduardo dos Santos's ruling party.
The southern African nation's constitutional court also Wednesday validated the results of the poll, which saw 71.84 percent of the vote go to Dos Santos's People's Movement for the Liberation of Angola (MPLA), meaning he will remain head of state.
The main opposition party, the National Union for the Total Independence of Angola (Unita), along with two smaller groups, had already filed unsuccessful appeals with the election commission, taking issue with the electoral lists, voting station locations and party monitor accreditation.
They claimed electoral rolls were manipulated so 35 percent of voters could not participate, even though observers had declared the elections free and democratic.
Court representative Luis Ferreira said the opposition parties' complaints failed because they were "not based on any evidence". Unita official Jose Pedro Cachuingo said the party would weigh additional, international appeal options because "we are not satisfied with this decision."
According to the Angolan constitution, the court's decision is final. The vote was only the third since the country's independence from Portugal in 1975.
The MPLA's victory secured Dos Santos another five-year term in office. He is celebrating 33 years in power this month.