Cele will fight back: Report
Bheki Cele will fight against a board of inquiry report recommending his dismissal.
Suspended police commissioner General Bheki Cele will fight against a board of inquiry report recommending his dismissal, it was reported on Friday.
Cele's spokesman, Vuyo Mkhize, told The Witness Cele would consider “all available avenues to challenge the validity of the report, including a review application to the high court".
The eNews channel reported on Thursday night that the board of inquiry into Cele's fitness to hold office recommended he be removed.
The Mail & Guardian reported on Friday that the three-person inquiry unanimously recommended he be sacked.
However, President Jacob Zuma's spokesman Mac Maharaj said this was speculation.
"The president has received the report and is processing it and until then he will not engage in speculation," Maharaj said.
According to the eNews report, the board of inquiry found Cele lacked the capacity to execute his official duties efficiently and was not fit to hold office.
The channel reported the board found his apparent unlawful conduct proved he was unable to hold office. Evidence also suggested there was a questionable relationship between Cele and property tycoon Roux Shabangu.
Zuma appointed the board in November to probe Cele's fitness to remain in office, and allegations of misconduct relating to two leases for new police headquarters in Pretoria and Durban, which Cele signed with Shabangu.
Public Protector Thuli Madonsela found Cele's action pertaining to the leases was improper, unlawful and amounted to misconduct. The team which led evidence against Cele in the inquiry called for his dismissal. He denies any wrongdoing.
Board of inquiry chairman Judge Jakes Moloi presented the inquiry's report to Zuma on May 20.
Cele's counsel Vincent Maleka said on Thursday he had not seen the inquiry's report, and so could not confirm whether it had been recommended that Cele be removed.