Three more in London court on terror charges
Three more men are to appear in a London court accused of terror offences including building a makeshift bomb following a string of arrests last week.
LONDON - Three more men were to appear in a London court on Wednesday accused of terror offences including building a makeshift bomb following a string of arrests last week.
Two men both aged 22 and a 24-year-old man were charged Tuesday with preparing for an act or acts of terrorism between May 1 and July 4, West Midlands Police said.
The trio, who have not been named by police, were to appear at Westminster Magistrates Court in central London. Their alleged activities include the manufacture of an improvised explosive device, the acquisition of firearms and other weapons, and the purchase of motor vehicles connected with their plans.
The charges follow a series of arrests by counter-terror officers last week, which police stressed were not related to the London Olympics beginning later this month.
Seven men were detained after officers found shotguns, a nail bomb and machetes in a car travelling along the M1 motorway near the city of Sheffield, northern England, on June 30. Police later found a note in the vehicle addressed to the "English Drunkards League", an apparent reference to the far-right group the English Defence League (EDL).
The group, which strongly opposes what it calls "radical Islam's encroachment into the lives of non-Muslims", was holding a rally that day in the Yorkshire town of Dewsbury. Jewel Uddin, 26, Omar Mohammed Khan, 27, and Mohammed Hasseen, 23, who are all from Britain's second city Birmingham, in central England, were remanded in custody to appear at London's Old Bailey central criminal court on July 31.
Police said a 43-year-old man from Kirklees, West Yorkshire, in northern England, was released Tuesday without charge.